Franzisca Schmidt is a senior assistant at the Institute of Communication and Media Sciences at the University of Bern. She is currently working on the research project "Political Instrumentalization of the Islam? Framing the Burqa as a Threat to National Values and Security in Switzerland and its' Consequences" as part of the Interfaculty Research Cooperation (IFC) "Religious Conflicts and Coping Strategies" at the University of Bern, and on the project "The Role of National Parties for the Politicization of EU Integration – An International Comparison Between Six European Countries," which is a cooperation between the University of Koblenz-Landau (Germany), the University of Bern (Switzerland), and the University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands).
Her research agenda focuses on political populism and more specifically, the influencing factors that foster or hinder the usage of populist communication by political actors, as well as the specific circumstances under which the mass media create an information environment that may have an impact on the electoral success of populist parties.
Her PhD thesis is an international comparative analysis of populist party and media communication in the context of the European Parliament elections in 2014. It examines how the European press has handled populism during the EP election campaign and to what extent it has played a supportive role for populist actors. Franzisca Schmidt’s doctoral thesis was awarded the “Herbert von Halem Young Scientists Award” , as well as the “Young Talent Award” of the Swiss Association of Communication and Media Research SACM in 2017.
Schmidt studied sociology, economics, and communication science at the University of Bern. Since 2013, she has been working as a research assistant at the Institute for Communication and Media Studies. She teaches undergraduate courses in the area of political communication and supervises bachelor’s theses.
- Schmidt, F. (2019). Populistische Kommunikation und die Rolle der Medien. Der Umgang der Presse mit Parteien- und Medienpopulismus im Europawahlkampf 2014, Köln: Halem Verlag.
- Schmidt F. (2017). ‘Drivers of populism – a four-country comparison of party communication in the run-up to the 2014 European Parliament elections’, Political Studies, 66: 2, 459–479
- Adam, S., E. Antl-Wittenberg, B. Eugster, M. Leidecker, M. Maier & F. Schmidt (2016). ‘Strategies of pro- EU parties in the face of a Euroskeptic challenge’, European Union Politics, 18:2, 260–282
- Häussler, T., D. Arlt, F. Schmidt & S. Adam (eds.) (2016). ‘Thematic section: Contexts and their consequences: approaches, challenges and results of comparative communication and media research’, Studies in Communication Sciences, 16:1, 52–53.
- Schmidt, F. (2018, November): The mass media's handling of populist party communication during the 2014 EP election campaign. A comparative analysis on the influence of news value and political parallelism, Paper presented at the 7th ECREA European Communication Conference, 31 October - 3. November 2018, Lugano (Switzerland).
- Schmidt, F. (2017, September): The Media as Secret Helpers? Analyzing the Mass Media’s handling of Populist Party Communication during the 2014 EP Election Campaign, Paper presented at the 11th ECPR General Conference, 6-9 September 2017, University of Oslo (Norway).
- Schmidt, F. (2016, June): Drivers of populism – a four-country comparison of party communication in the run-up to the 2014 European Parliament elections. Paper presented at the 66th annual conference of the International Communication Association ICA, Political Communication Division, 9-13 June 2016, Fukuoka (Japan).
- Adam, S., M. Maier, B. Eugster, M. Leidecker, E. Antl-Wittenberg & F. Schmidt (2015, August): Strategies of pro-EU parties in times of a Euroskeptic challenge. A six country comparison of strategic party communication in the run-up to the 2014 European Parliament election. Presentation at the 7th European Political Communication Conference ECREA, 27-28 August 2015, Odense (Denmark).
- Adam, S., B. Eugster, E. Antl-Wittenberg, M. Leidecker, M. Maier & F. Schmidt (2015, March): The interplay between Euroskeptic challenger and pro-European mainstream parties – A six country comparison of strategic party communication in the run-up to the 2014 European Parliament elections. Presentation at the annual conference of the Swiss Association of Communication and Media Research SGKM, 13-14 March 2015, University of Bern (Switzerland).
- Schmidt F. (2015, January): Populist party communication in the context of the EP elections 2014. Presentation at COST Early Stage Researchers Think Tank (Cost Action IS1308), 26-30 January 2015, Institute of Mass Communication and Media Research IPMZ, University of Zurich (Switzerland).
- Schmidt, F. (2014, November): Populist communication in the context of European Parliament Elections. Presentation at workshop „Campaigning for Europe. Parties, Mass Media and Voters in the European Parliamentary Elections 2014“, 17-19 November 2014, Annweiler (Germany).
- Political Communication
- European Integration
- Media and Party Communication
- Election Campaigns